Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Monday 4th January

After breakfast, Stephen and I caught the Subway to the Guggenheim Museum. I remember falling in love with this building back in the 1960s when I was doing art at school. It was even better than I imagined. There was a retrospective of Kandinski's work and there was a free audio tour that was excellent. I an usually not that keen on abstract art but the commentary really made it come alive!! It made me want to buy canvas, paint and brushes!!








After spending 2 hours at the museum we caught the Subway back downtown, Stephen got off at our stop and I headed a few more stations down to visit City Quilter. It is a lovely quilt shop in the middle of New York City. I bought some special New York fabric, some fabric for my patchwork groups fabric exchange, a pattern and a book. I then walked the 14 blocks back to the hotel (only about a mile!).
After a brief rest we headed out to Bryant Park, just a couple of blocks away that has a free outdoor ice skating rink. We only had to pay for skates. Beside the rink was a Carousel and Amelia got very excited as she had been watching her Mary Poppins dvd this afternoon. She had the ride all to herself and, as you can see, LOVED it.


Don't you just love the oversized gloves!!



We had lots of fun skating although the skates weren't marvellous. I haven't skated for at least 32 years and Joe hasn't skated for 25 years so we were both a little rusty. We both had one tumble each! And both have ended with bruised knees!!






Poor Amelia, I don't think she realised how shaky both her grandparents were!!






This is a fountain outside the ice rink. You can see how cold the air is. Joe was sure that the ice had been artificially assisted but it was natural!!

Oops, this one is out of order.





Amelia just loves ferris wheels and is particularly fascinated by this one in Toys'r'us in Times Square. She did have several rides on it while we were in New York.

Tomorrow we catch the Amtrak to Philadelphia.
Footnote: We keep laughing at drug ads on TV where the possible side effects take longer to explain than the ad itself!!















No comments:

Post a Comment